[ASH/News] From RACC to WOTF

Eagle eagle at eyrie.org
Sat May 20 11:43:37 PDT 2006

Tom Russell <milos_parker at yahoo.com> writes:

> I share your distrust of Hubbard/Scientology, but I don't think that in
> any way denigrates Tony's accomplishment; I don't think it matters who's
> behind it.  Good writing is good writing (which is its own reward) and a
> contest is a contest.  I can't think of any contest that I wouldn't
> enter if I had a chance of winning it-- that is, if it's a general or
> genre fiction contest.

This particular issue is much-discussed in the SF community, and the
general consensus so far as I've been able to tell from what I read is
that the linkage to Scientology is very unfortunate but the Writers of the
Future contest itself is fully legitimate, useful, and a good springboard
for writers despite that.

--
Eagle (eagle at eyrie.org)                            Windrider of Crossroads
<http://www.eyrie.org/~eagle/>          rec.arts.comics.creative moderator