[ASH/News] From RACC to WOTF

Tom Russell milos_parker at yahoo.com
Sat May 20 11:41:25 PDT 2006

Jesse Willey wrote:

>    I could never enter that contest.  My
> politcal/religious views give me certain distrust of
> the estate of L. Ron Hubbard.   Even if it has no ties
> to the Tax Shelter of Scientology I couldn't do it.

Jesse--

I share your distrust of Hubbard/Scientology, but I don't think that in
any way denigrates Tony's accomplishment; I don't think it matters
who's behind it.  Good writing is good writing (which is its own
reward) and a contest is a contest.  I can't think of any contest that
I wouldn't enter if I had a chance of winning it-- that is, if it's a
general or genre fiction contest.

I would have a problem entering a contest ran by the Ayn Rand estate or
by Robert Faurisson only if the contest was for writing in line with
their insane and evil points-of-view.  (And, yes, I have no problem
roping Rand and Faurisson in the same group.)  To write something
in-line with their POVs would be morally bankrupt beyond all reason.
And I would never want to spend even a few seconds in the presence of
someone like Faurisson.  But to enter a general or genre fiction
contest sponsered by that person, possibly get published, and take
their prize money?  I have no problem with that.  The views of the
person running the contest do not change the quality of the writing
that wins that contest, nor do they reflect on the character of the
writer.

Tony--

Congratulations, again!  I think I can speak for all of us when I say
we're looking forward to reading your story when the WOTF book comes
out, and that we missed you during Apes Month. :-)

--Tom