REVIEWS: The Phippsian Reader

phippsmartin at hotmail.com phippsmartin at hotmail.com
Sat May 14 18:05:53 PDT 2005

Jamas Enright wrote:

> > Others go further to the point of changing people's names too.
Jamas
> > once had a character refer to the "actress" JulIO Roberts and then
> > pointed out that, in making the joke, he had given her a man's
name.
> > That's devotion.
>
> ...and I'm pretty sure that wasn't me. I usually find trying to come
up
> with net-based names to get in the way of telling the story. You
thinking
> of Jamie?

Sorry.  Jamie.  Not Jamas.  Nor Jesse.  Nor Jessie.

> > Or perhaps I was just writing a review of The Day After Tomorrow in
as
> > entertaining a way as possible.  Does it not bother you that the
> > science in the movie was a bit misleading?
>
> You went to an Emmerich movie expecting proper science??

Not really.  More people would have seen the trailer than the movie
itself and the TRAILER was terribly misleading.  "Ten thousand years
ago one storm changed the Earth's climate."  Um... the Ice Age began
SEVENTY FIVE thousand years ago.  Ten thousand years ago is when the
Ice Age ENDED.  Sorry, but that sort of thing grates me.

> > Speaking of Roland Emmerich, one is faced with the same conundrum
> > regarding the movie Independence Day: there's no way that mankind
would
> > have been able to fight an enemy as powerful as the aliens were
> > established to be at the beginning of the movie.  Mankind should
have
> > been dead at the end of the movie.
>
> Hey, those aliens only attacked the Northern hemisphere. The rest of
us
> would have been fine. :)
>
> > The fact that mankind not only
> > survived but won is nothing but a cheat, a way to salvage a happy
> > ending even though millions, if not billions, have died.  To a
lesser

> oh look, you misspelt "but a cheat, a way to prove that AMERICA IS
THE
> BEST F*&KING COUNTRY IN THE ENTIRE F^#KING WORLD, AND SCREW EVERYONE
> ELSE", which was the point of the movie. (Although I admit this point
is
> almost subtle compared with how it's presented in Armageddon...)
> (That said, this seems to be the point of most big budget Hollywood
> movies...)

I see your point with Independence Day but Armageddon was just a bad
movie.  If there were any "Isn't America great" moments then I must
have missed them because I never got through it without changing the
channel.

Martin