[LNHY/ACRA] The Daily Super Short-Short Story #25

Saxon Brenton saxon.brenton at uts.edu.au
Wed Oct 6 02:41:20 PDT 2004

Martin and Jesse reply to the stuff I put in about dreams:

Not only do different people respond in different ways, but
the same person can respond in different ways at different
times.

Most of the stuff that I had Shane go on about was literally
autobiographical in my case. I do have occasional dreams where
I use superpowers (my flying still sucks after more than
twenty years, but my teleporting is getting really good, thank
you very much). The thing is these situations usally don't feel
like lucid dreaming to me, so like I had Shane say, I think
this is a case on my mind using ingrained patterns of thought
(using suprpowers) to give me options which aren't available
to me when awake.

Which is not to say that lucid dreaming will actually make things
easier for trying to take control of a situation:
The section of the library I'm in has a gambling syndicate where
we each put in some money and any winnings goes into the birthday
cake fund. Earlier this year when it was my turn to buy the ticket
we won about $65 or so, an then that night I had a lucid dream
inspired by it:

In this dream a figure was trying to tell me I'd won $10,000, and
I knew this was wrong. I kept saying so but this nameless figure
kept insisting on its story.
"I haven't won $10,000."
'Yes you have won $10,000.'
"You're not real. I'm just dreaming. I haven't won $10,000."
'You really have won $10,000.'
"Look, we're at South West Rocks [a beach near where I grew up].
There are my two sisters, and there's Mum. Mum died four years
ago. This is just a dream, and I haven't won $10,000."
'But you really have won $10,000.'
At which point I got irritated, flew up into the sky (and my
flying actually worked fine and without effort, for once), and
created a tremendous lightshow that cover the entire Earth
which was accompanied to the Carpenter's 'Calling Occupants Of
Interplanetary Craft' and filled everyone on the planet with an
uplifting numinous experience. Then I flew back down to the
ground and said, "See, I can't so that in real life. This is only
a dream, and I haven't won $10,000."
'No, you really have won $10,000.'
"Arrghh! Shut the smeg up about winning $10,000!"

-----
Saxon Brenton    Uni of Technology, city library, Sydney Australia
saxon.brenton at uts.edu.au