[META] Various Apologies

Saxon Brenton saxon.brenton at uts.edu.au
Tue Jun 22 16:33:58 PDT 2004

"Martin Phipps" <phippsmartin at hotmail.com> asked:

[...]

> Anyway, I was wondering if anyone might be a bit offended by the
> notion that most of the LNHers from the nineties will have been
> retired by the year 2019.  A lot of characters seem to have retired
> already, either because they were listed as "reserved" on the roster
> so nobody uses them or because they never appeared outside of their
> own series.  I was surprised, for example, to go to the archive today
> and find 36 issues of Brain Boy!

    I don't have any particular problems with the idea of most LNHers
having retired by that time *as a story notion*. In addition to allowing
for 'generational change' stories like the LNH2 imprint, the notion of
retirement (for whatever reason) is a perfectly valid issue for keeping
the 'working' form of the LNH roster under control. (As opposed to the
'platonic' version of the roster, which, as the old joke goes, "is too
large to be kept track of".) Mind you, other reasons have been given over
the years: both the net.hero virus that killed Squid Boy the second time,
as well as the attack by OMAR in the Flame Wars 4 were as far as I can
tell meant to be rationalisations for explaining away why some of the
lesser used characters might be permanently gone rather than merely out-
of-sight.
    There are complications of course - some of them deliberate - but
they probably aren't insurmountable.
    Specifically, if one is using a timeline where the history of the
Legion is literally paralleling the dates of publication/posting on LNH
stories then it's perfectly reasonable for characters starting their
careers in the early 1990s to have retired from the physically demanding
activity of heroing in the late 20-teens. (Exceptions, of course, for
immortals, rejuvenations, or being frozen in blocks of ice.)
    That said, I quite specifically *don't* approach LNH time that way,
since I'm deliberately and maliciously satirising the 'sliding timescale'
of Marvel's 'ten year history' - the notion that it's only ever been ten
years since the Fantastic Four's rocket trip and only ever will be ten
years. Combine that with my slow writing rate, and come 2020 it will
probably still be only a few years since the events of Limp-Asparagus
Lad #1 via that series' internal chronology. Lots of opportunities for
arguments among my characters about whether comparisons to Franklin
Richards (for the superhero genre angle) or Archie Andrews (for the
young adult age bracket) are more appropriate.
    All of this, however, is my problem and not yours. I'm the one
deliberately lying at right-angles to common sense. And moreover, the
more times it comes into conflict with what everyone else is doing, the
more opportunities I have for poking fun at the topic.
     YMMV. But anyway, go play. Be creative. Have Fun.

[...]

>                                It wouldn't matter if not for the fact
> that there was a time when I was updating the time line so, much like
> Saxon today, I was reading ALL the LNH stuff that was getting posted.

    I don't think I've ever updated the timeline. I've worked on the
LNH story roster, and I created the gazeteer, but I don't think I've
ever done anything with the timeline.

Saxon Brenton     Uni of Technology, city library, Sydney Australia
saxon.brenton at uts.edu.au