[LNH/Admin] For consultation: history of the LNHHQ

phippsmartin at hotmail.com phippsmartin at hotmail.com
Sun Dec 19 17:55:43 PST 2004

Saxon Brenton wrote:

>      * Boy Lad founds the original Legion of Net.Heroes sometime in
the
> 1910s or 1920s -- the _Particle Man Annual_ doesn't give a firm date,
but
> does say that this version of the Legion was winding down around the
same
> time that the P.U.L.P. Institute was starting up, as well as that Boy
Lad
> introduced personal angst about 50 years ahead of its time. The LNHHQ
was
> a 3 story building in the centre of town. _Lagneto 2016_ #4 says that
it
> had previously been the `Net.ropolis Grand Hotel', and _Ultimate
> Mercinary_ #4 notes that it was a `major' hotel. Additionally _Jong_
> notes that while the Agents of P.U.L.P. and the Classic Squad would
use
> the LNHHQ occasionally, they didn't actually live there.
>      The above date seems to jibe roughly with _Jong_ #4, which says
that
> Boy Lad and Boy Lad Jr disappeared in the 1920s. It doesn't jibe
_Lagneto
> 2016_ #4 which says that Boy Lad was active in the 1930s, and Martin
> later corrected this date with the likes of _Bride of C'thulhu_ #7.
>      {The one big advantage of the original Legion being active in
the
> 1930s was that the stock market crash of 1929 was an excellent reason
for
> a `major Net.ropolitan hotel' to be closed so as to become available
for
> Boy Lad's use. Does anybody have any suggestions for why the Hotel
Grand
> would have closed in the late 1910s or early 1920s?}

That's what I was thinking too.  I figured that David Henry's story was
originally set in the depression era because here we had a large
building, regardless of what reason for which it was originally built,
that was left almost vacant.  If I "corrected" myself later it was in
response to other people giving a different date and me using the
latter date without thinking about it.  Providing an alternative use
for LNH HQ also conveniently explains why the building was originally
built and why it was never torn when there was no active LNH.

Martin