[NNTP] Tr: Last Call: draft-elie-nntp-list-additions (Network News Transfer Protocol (NNTP) Additions to LIST Command) toProposed Standard

Julien ÉLIE julien at trigofacile.com
Thu Jun 24 06:57:51 PDT 2010

Hi,

* Regarding LIST COUNTS, the separator is one or more spaces.
It is like LIST ACTIVE.  That is to say no tabulation is allowed.

  list-counts-content =
        *(newsgroup-name 3(SPA article-number)
        SPA newsgroup-status CRLF)

I think that is the best thing to do (SPA instead of WS) but
do not hesitate to tell if you think WS is better.
As LIST COUNTS is very similar to LIST ACTIVE and as LIST ACTIVE
uses SPA for historical reasons (client parsers expect spaces),
I think we should go on with SPA for LIST COUNTS.
(Highwind servers and INN 2.5.2 use a single space.)

* A question by Alexey, the Area Director sponsor for the draft:

LIST MODERATORS
2.4.3.  Example

       Similarly, a "%s" pattern rule cannot be used for the moderation
       submission template for two moderated newsgroups whose names
       differ only by the case of their characters.

Left hand sides of email addresses are actually case sensitive (although
most end systems treat them as case-insensitive).
Therefore, is this remark for LIST MODERATORS accurate?  Maybe we should
say "It is recommended not to use [...]" because, clearly, "cannot"
is wrong.

What do you think about that?  Is it the right fix to do?

--
Julien ÉLIE

« -- C'est un drôle de nom, HCL.
  -- C'est son immatriculation d'espion. Son vrai nom,
  c'est Acidcloridrix... » (Astérix)