[NNTP] Tr: Last Call: draft-elie-nntp-list-additions (Network News Transfer Protocol (NNTP) Additions to LIST Command) toProposed Standard

Russ Allbery rra at stanford.edu
Thu Jun 24 10:40:54 PDT 2010

> * A question by Alexey, the Area Director sponsor for the draft:

> LIST MODERATORS
> 2.4.3.  Example

>       Similarly, a "%s" pattern rule cannot be used for the moderation
>       submission template for two moderated newsgroups whose names
>       differ only by the case of their characters.

> Left hand sides of email addresses are actually case sensitive (although
> most end systems treat them as case-insensitive).
> Therefore, is this remark for LIST MODERATORS accurate?  Maybe we should
> say "It is recommended not to use [...]" because, clearly, "cannot"
> is wrong.

> What do you think about that?  Is it the right fix to do?

While the LHS of an email address is case-sensitive in the standard, most
mail systems do not treat it as case-sensitive without going to special
work to configure them to do so, which means that in practice relying on
that case-sensitivity is unlikely to work.  We should probably say that
explicitly, but I think the provision of the text here is correct.