[NNTP] Additions to LIST commands

Julien ÉLIE julien at trigofacile.com
Sat Nov 28 00:53:14 PST 2009

Hi Russ,

>> As for "r", is it OK to have either "r" or "r1258739643" (time since
>> epoch)?
>
> That would be kind of a neat feature, but I'm not sure that encoding it in
> the active file is the best place to return that information.  I'd be more
> tempted to add a new list, like LIST REMOVALS [wildmat], that shows
> upcoming groups to be removed to avoid putting too much different data
> into the active file.

On second thoughts, I do not see well the use readers will have
of LIST REMOVALS.
Maybe it should be internally handled.

That is to say, when a rmgroup control article arrives, the newsgroup
is marked as "x" (no local posting, no article from peer).  And the news
server has a file (probably named removals) which keeps track of when
the newsgroup should really be deleted.

This way, if a newgroup control article comes, the newsgroup is marked
as "y" and no longer listed in removals.

Thus, no need to have an "r" status and LIST REMOVALS.
It can be handled internally by a news server (and maybe mentioned in USEAGE
as best practice).

Unless readers have a need for that information?  Please speak up if
that's the case.  Thanks,

--
Julien ÉLIE

« Et cette même nuit, c'est-à-dire trois semaines plus tard... » (Astérix)