[NNTP] Additions to LIST commands

Russ Allbery rra at stanford.edu
Sat Nov 28 01:32:54 PST 2009

> Hi Russ,

>> That would be kind of a neat feature, but I'm not sure that encoding it
>> in the active file is the best place to return that information.  I'd
>> be more tempted to add a new list, like LIST REMOVALS [wildmat], that
>> shows upcoming groups to be removed to avoid putting too much different
>> data into the active file.

> On second thoughts, I do not see well the use readers will have of LIST
> REMOVALS.  Maybe it should be internally handled.

> That is to say, when a rmgroup control article arrives, the newsgroup is
> marked as "x" (no local posting, no article from peer).  And the news
> server has a file (probably named removals) which keeps track of when
> the newsgroup should really be deleted.

The only additional feature that I can think of LIST REMOVALS providing is
letting readers know when that 'x' group is going to disappear completely,
so that they can, for example, archive postings they want to keep.

But unless someone asks for it, I'm not sure it's worth writing a protocol
specification for it.