[NNTP] Compressed LIST (and other commands) answers

Julien ÉLIE julien at trigofacile.com
Wed Dec 2 11:11:23 PST 2009

Hi Ade,

> If we _really_ want compression, then it should be here,
> in SASL, where things are relatively well-defined, as opposed
> to trying to retrofit something into a _very_ simple protocol (NNTP).

Why in SASL?
If we do that only with SASL, It would require people to authenticate
(via AUTHINFO SASL) in order to start using compression.  And of course
a mechanism which negotiates a compression layer would be needed.

--
Julien ÉLIE

« -- Il est parti comme il est venu...
  -- Il ne faisait que passer... » (Astérix)