[NNTP] Compressed LIST (and other commands) answers

Urs Janßen urs at tin.org
Wed Dec 2 02:31:32 PST 2009

On Wed, Dec 02, 2009 at 02:16:35AM -0800, Ade Lovett wrote:
> Ask yourselves these two questions:
>
> 1.  If I'm attempting to download binaries faster, what does <compression-technique> give me?
> 2.  If I'm spending a lot of time in high-traffic text newsgroups, what does <compression-technique> give me?
>
> Pay particular attention to the fact that consumers of (1) and (2) above are most likely already on high speed internet connections (heck, I pay $19.95/mo for 10/3) and so are _not_ the target audience.

I only do text newsgroups and compression would speed up inital connection
times and group entering (at least with tin).

> Again, I ask folks.  Is this really a "problem" that needs to be "solved" ?

compression does happen in the real world (giganews, astraweb, diablo), we
can ignore that or try to come up with something usefull in a standard so we
do not see tons of different implementations and at least reader authors end
up in a nightmare.

urs
--
"Only whimps use tape backup: _real_ men just upload their important stuff
 on ftp, and let the rest of the world mirror it ;)" - Linus