[NNTP] Adding A Quota Command to NNTP (internet-draft)

Peter Robinson pmrobinson at gmx.net
Sat Feb 24 09:37:47 PST 2007

Samuel Kleiner <ulterior.org at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Feb 22, 2007, at 9:15 PM, Peter Robinson wrote:
>
> > Ade Lovett <ade at lovett.com> wrote:
> >
> >> I guess the main question would be what kind of "server information"
> >> could possibly be made available to the client beyond timeout/
> >> maxartsize.
> >
> > Max concurrent connections perhaps?

> That's already in this proposal.

So it is.

> I felt that it met the standard of a user quota.

And it does.  But it is something that could also be of interest to
non-binary clients and people not bound by specific usage quotas.
Having said that, I'm not certain how many clients or servers would
bother implementing this 'server information' extension (with or without
max connections) unless it had something more compelling in it.

I can see an application of a timeout parameter, but surely making use
of a max atricle size limit would be very unwise: just because one
server accepts 10MB articles doesn't mean they're going to propagate
elsewhere does it?

I'm not hugely interested in binary/commercial news, but I can see how
your original quota extension could be useful if it's something big
servers can implement reasonably cheaply.

Regards,

Peter