[NNTP] Adding A Quota Command to NNTP (internet-draft)

Samuel Kleiner ulterior.org at gmail.com
Thu Feb 22 18:35:28 PST 2007

On Feb 22, 2007, at 11:57 AM, Ade Lovett wrote:

> On Feb 05, 2007, at 20:27 , Russ Allbery wrote:
>> Interesting.  I can't evaluate the general usefulness of this,
>> since I'm
>> not at all involved in the binary or commercial provider world
>> where this
>> is more common, but from a protocol perspective it seems like a
>> reasonable
>> extension.
>
> My primary concern over this would be whether the proposal would be
> expecting real-time status of quota usage.  In the commercial
> world, it is not uncommon to have a reasonable number of individual
> front end reader boxes behind an L4 load balancer, further, until
> sessions are actually closed and then some time after that, when
> the accounting data has been processed back into a central
> repository, would the usage limits be updated.

 From my own experience, some providers do update the central
repository more
frequently  than that, say, once every gigabyte.

Would it help to have the byte-quota information timestamped, so that
the client
can make predictions based on it?

In addition, I feel that the slow quota updates of current providers
have a lot to do
with the current scarcity of methods to provide accurate and timely
quota information.