[NNTP] CAPABILITIES and LIST SUBSCRIPTIONS/LIST MOTD

Jeffrey M. Vinocur jeff at litech.org
Tue May 24 17:20:27 PDT 2005

On May 24, 2005, at 1:17 PM, Ken Murchison wrote:

> This sounds right.  The LIST SUBSCRIPTIONS command (and its
> corresponding "SUBSCRIPTIONS" argument to the "LIST" capability)
> *should* be specified in a new document referencing the upcoming RFC
> 3977.  Eventually, anything in RFC 2980 that's still useful should be
> specified in new document(s) and RFC 2980 moved to historical.

Right.

I can't recall if there was actually consensus about this (or even
discussion beyond the bit quoted upthread), but when I started the
STREAMING draft I intentionally didn't include all the "useful" bits of
2980.  My impression was that lumping so many unrelated commands into
one extension document was prone to cause trouble in the future (e.g.
to update or obsolete a single extension) with little real benefit.

Thus, although the four documents we have now do account for much of
the functionality described by 2980, I'm not sure we can retire it yet.
  For example, at some point we need to tackle XPAT...

--
Jeffrey M. Vinocur
jeff at litech.org