[NNTP] CAPABILITIES and LIST SUBSCRIPTIONS/LIST MOTD

Russ Allbery rra at stanford.edu
Tue May 24 17:24:32 PDT 2005

Jeffrey M Vinocur <jeff at litech.org> writes:

> Thus, although the four documents we have now do account for much of the
> functionality described by 2980, I'm not sure we can retire it yet. For
> example, at some point we need to tackle XPAT...

Oh.  Yes.  I completely forgot about XPAT.

Scott, that's a definitive answer.  RFC 2980 is the only current
specification for XPAT, which definitely implemented and used in the real
world and which we are not at all prepared to standardize further at this
point.  We can't obsolete it completely or relegate it to historical
status until we've dealt with that.

I do think we should mark RFC 2980 as updated by the new base
specification, AUTHINFO, and STREAMING, though.