[NNTP] LISTGROUP

Russ Allbery rra at stanford.edu
Wed Mar 23 13:51:57 PST 2005

"Andrew - Supernews" <andrew at supernews.net> writes:

>  Ken> Alternatively, we can stipulate that the range parameter can
>  Ken> only be used if a group is also specified:

>  Ken> LISTGROUP [group [range]]

> This (as Russ also said) seems simplest from a compatibility
> perspective. But it's logically broken in that you don't know what the
> valid range is until you actually enter the group.

Why is that logically broken?  You know what group you're dealing with in
any case, so it's easy to add the group to the command even if you're
already in the group.  (And I don't think it's the case that you don't
know the range before entering the group; the most useful range on group
entry would be NNN-, where NNN was the last message read by the client in
that group plus one.)

On the other hand, maybe this conversation implies that just adding this
feature isn't the best idea.

(I'm a lot more concerned with the merits adding a new feature at this
point than I am with making LISTGROUP mandatory, actually.)