[NNTP] Working group last call

Ken Murchison ken at oceana.com
Tue Mar 8 04:36:30 PST 2005

Clive D.W. Feather wrote:

> Ken Murchison said:
>
>>http://www.oceana.com/ftp/drafts/draft-ietf-nntpext-streaming-04pre1.txt
>

> 2.3.2 para 1: "If a server supports this extension ..." would be better.
> Otherwise you're requiring the server to support MODE STREAM if it supports
> MODE STREAM, which is a bit nonsensical.
>
> Para 2: surely that SHOULD should be a MUST? A conforming implementation
> MUST provide MODE STREAM, right?

This point keeps coming up, so obviously I'm not getting the text right.
  I'm trying to convey that MODE STREAM is not required in order to
implement or use this extension.  MODE STREAM is deprecated in favor of
CAPABILITIES.

Perhaps I should start with:

"If a server supports this extension and the optional MODE STREAM
command ..."

Russ, can you offer any insight?

Software Engineer     21 Princeton Place
716-662-8973 x26      Orchard Park, NY 14127