[NNTP] Working group last call

Clive D.W. Feather clive at demon.net
Tue Mar 8 04:44:01 PST 2005

Ken Murchison said:
> This point keeps coming up, so obviously I'm not getting the text right.
>  I'm trying to convey that MODE STREAM is not required in order to
> implement or use this extension.  MODE STREAM is deprecated in favor of
> CAPABILITIES.
>
> Perhaps I should start with:
>
> "If a server supports this extension and the optional MODE STREAM
> command ..."

Okay, let me try again.

I understand that a client SHOULD use CAPABILITIES to determine if the
extension is supported. A client should only use MODE STREAM if it's
concerned about old implementations. However, that's not my point.

Let me ask the same question in two ways:

Version 1: can an implementation conforming to your specification
NOT implement the MODE STREAM command?

Version 2: is the following allowed with a conforming server?

    [C] CAPABILITIES
    [S] 101 Capability list:
    [S] VERSION 2
    [S] READER LISTGROUP
    [S] LIST ACTIVE NEWSGROUPS
    [S] STREAMING
    [S] .
    [C] MODE STREAM
    [S] 501 Unknown mode STREAM

If the answer to both of them is "no", then you need my changes.

If the answer to both of them is "yes", then you badly need to rephrase
that text, because I thought it was a mandatory command.

If the answer to one is "yes" and the other is "no", somebody is *really*
confused.