[NNTP] Fwd: Low-impact review of draft-ietf-nntpext-base-22

Russ Allbery rra at stanford.edu
Mon Jun 6 18:03:32 PDT 2005

My reply is coming separately.

From: "Spencer Dawkins" <spencer at mcsr-labs.org>
To: <gen-art at alvestrand.no>
Cc: "Clive D.W. Feather" <clive at demon.net>,
        "Scott Hollenbeck" <sah at 428cobrajet.net>,
        "Ned Freed" <ned.freed at mrochek.com>, "Russ Allbery" <rra at stanford.edu>
Subject: Fw: Low-impact review of draft-ietf-nntpext-base-22
Date: Sun, 5 Jun 2005 20:40:43 -0500

Intended status: Proposed Standard

Background for those on the CC list, who may be unaware of GenART:
GenART is the Area Review Team for the General Area of the IETF.  We
advise the General Area Director (i.e. the IETF/IESG chair) by
providing more in depth reviews than he could do himself of documents
that come up for final decision in IESG telechat.  I was selected
as the GenART member to review this document.  Below is my review,
which was written specifically with an eye to the GenART process, but
since I believe that it will be useful to have these comments more
widely distributed, others outside the GenART group are being copied.

Sigh... I don't see my previous review in the reviewer spreadsheet,
but it was referenced in the ID tracker for this version of the draft,
so I'm forwarding it with a note...

More than a year ago, I said "ready for publication as a Proposed
Standard ... probably ready to be published as Historic, too". At the
very least, the abstract paragraph I pointed to has been badly
overtaken by the entire HTTP thing, much less SIP and P2P protocols
like BitTorrent:

>   The Network News Transport Protocol (NNTP) has been in use in the
>   Internet for a decade and remains one of the most popular
> protocols
>   (by volume) in use today.

I happened to like this draft a year ago. I'm sure it could be
improved further, but the only standards-track RFC for NTTP is RFC
977, dated 1986 (yes, there is a "common extensions" RFC 2980, dated
2000, but it's Informational). The 00 draft is dated 1997, and that
means it's been around the IETF as long as I have.  I've got to
believe that the NNTP community has long since moved on without
waiting for an RFC (please tell me they didn't wait eight years to
implement).

(Does the Internet really need this kind of quality control?)

Spencer

p.s. "Grandfather, was NNTP ever used for anything except marketing
porn in random newsgroups?"