[NNTP] LISTGROUP

Clive D.W. Feather clive at demon.net
Mon Apr 25 03:50:28 PDT 2005

Russ Allbery said:
> To which I should probably also add that adding the range parameter to
> LISTGROUP is *also* stepping outside the charter of the group.  It's in a
> way that I think is minor, and it seems so obviously useful and trivial to
> implement that I'm giving it a shot,

I've just remembered something else that falls into this category.

Can we make the parameter to GROUP be optional? The effect of omitting it
would be:
* If there is a currently selected group, the same as if it were specified.
* If there is no currently selected group, a 412 error.

The purpose is to allow the client to determine the currently selected
group. At present this can be done by using LISTGROUP with no arguments,
but that produces a list of indeterminate length that has to be thrown
away.