[NNTP] LISTGROUP

Clive D.W. Feather clive at demon.net
Mon Sep 6 07:19:04 PDT 2004

Ken Murchison said:
> I'm working on parts of my Cyrus NNTP code, and I had occasion to
> re-read the LISTGROUP text in draft -23.  Question: If LISTGROUP is
> called without the group argument, does the current article pointer of
> the already selected group get changed to the first article, or does it
> stay where it is?

It gets changed.

>From the text:

    The optional argument is the name of the newsgroup to be selected
    (e.g.  "news.software.misc").  A list of valid newsgroups may be
    obtained from the LIST ACTIVE command.  If no group is specified, the
    current selected newsgroup is used.

it is clear to me that:

    LISTGROUP news.software.misc
    LISTGROUP

and:

    LISTGROUP news.software.misc
    LISTGROUP news.software.misc

are equivalent in effect. Then:

   When a valid group is selected by means of this command, the current
   selected newsgroup MUST be set to that group and the current article
   number MUST be set to the first article in the group.

says it MUST be set to the first article in the group. Neither this
wording, nor the equivalent in GROUP, has an exception for the case that
the group being selected is the group already selected.

What in the wording made you think otherwise?