[NNTP] LISTGROUP

Ken Murchison ken at oceana.com
Tue Sep 7 06:49:42 PDT 2004

Clive D.W. Feather wrote:

> Ken Murchison said:
>
>>I'm working on parts of my Cyrus NNTP code, and I had occasion to
>>re-read the LISTGROUP text in draft -23.  Question: If LISTGROUP is
>>called without the group argument, does the current article pointer of
>>the already selected group get changed to the first article, or does it
>>stay where it is?
>

> It gets changed.
>
> From the text:
>
>     The optional argument is the name of the newsgroup to be selected
>     (e.g.  "news.software.misc").  A list of valid newsgroups may be
>     obtained from the LIST ACTIVE command.  If no group is specified, the
>     current selected newsgroup is used.
>
> it is clear to me that:
>
>     LISTGROUP news.software.misc
>     LISTGROUP
>
> and:
>
>     LISTGROUP news.software.misc
>     LISTGROUP news.software.misc
>
> are equivalent in effect. Then:
>
>    When a valid group is selected by means of this command, the current
>    selected newsgroup MUST be set to that group and the current article
>    number MUST be set to the first article in the group.
>
> says it MUST be set to the first article in the group. Neither this
> wording, nor the equivalent in GROUP, has an exception for the case that
> the group being selected is the group already selected.
>
> What in the wording made you think otherwise?

Never mind.  I was reading text from -21.  I noticed that in -23 the
first paragrapg of 8.3.1.2 specifically states that LISTGROUP also
selects the group.  This new sentence seems to eliminate the wiggle room
for a different interpretation that I had.

Software Engineer     21 Princeton Place
716-662-8973 x26      Orchard Park, NY 14127