[NNTP] draft-ietf-nntpext-streaming-02

Ken Murchison ken at oceana.com
Mon Oct 18 15:25:27 PDT 2004

Charles Lindsey wrote:

>>Clive> The problem with closing (or issuing a 400, which is far
>>Clive> superior) is that it prevents the client doing anything else,
>>Clive> like newsreading.
>

>>In practice, streaming feeds and newsreading are never done on the
>>same connection. If for some strange reason the client wants to use
>>reader commands, it can reconnect.
>

> Part of the problem is that, whilst we can say in LIST EXTENSIONS that
> STREAMING is (now) allowed, there is no way to give an UN-EXTENSION which
> says that reader commands are no longer available. The draft mandates
> that every NNTP server has full 'reader' capability, even if it is
> permanently used for streaming transit.

This can be easily solved by adding a NOREADING or READINGDISABLED
capability.  IMAP has a LOGINDISABLED capability if a server chooses to
disable the standard LOGIN command (LOGIN is a base command, but the
IMAP TLS spec allows it to be disabled).

Software Engineer     21 Princeton Place
716-662-8973 x26      Orchard Park, NY 14127