[NNTP] draft-ietf-nntpext-streaming-02

Clive D.W. Feather clive at demon.net
Fri Oct 15 03:35:24 PDT 2004

Andrew - Supernews said:
> However, the idea of returning a deferral in response to TAKETHIS (or
> indeed as the final response after IHAVE) is in any event logically
> somewhat flawed. The client in this case will always have sent the
> entire article body, and it is not reasonable to expect a client to do
> that repeatedly.

Repeatedly, no. Once more after a problem, yes.

> practical experience is that the
> resulting behaviour is never good (some senders will discard the
> articles, others will retry them indefinitely, potentially wasting
> large bandwidth volumes; throttling the server works much better).

Perhaps we need some recommendations for the client: after receiving a
posting failure (any of 431/432/436/441), it SHOULD NOT use TAKETHIS until
either an IHAVE (for a different article) or CHECK (for this article) has
succeeded. Similarly, TAKETHIS SHOULD NOT be pipelined in a session until
one of IHAVE, CHECK, or TAKETHIS has worked.