[NNTP] draft-ietf-nntpext-streaming-02

Charles Lindsey chl at clerew.man.ac.uk
Mon Oct 18 08:10:35 PDT 2004

In <E1CIWLM-000JCn-0h at trinity.supernews.net> "Andrew - Supernews" <andrew at supernews.net> writes:

> Clive> The problem with closing (or issuing a 400, which is far
> Clive> superior) is that it prevents the client doing anything else,
> Clive> like newsreading.

>In practice, streaming feeds and newsreading are never done on the
>same connection. If for some strange reason the client wants to use
>reader commands, it can reconnect.

Part of the problem is that, whilst we can say in LIST EXTENSIONS that
STREAMING is (now) allowed, there is no way to give an UN-EXTENSION which
says that reader commands are no longer available. The draft mandates
that every NNTP server has full 'reader' capability, even if it is
permanently used for streaming transit.

It almost suggests that the MODE STREAM command has a useful purpose.

Email: chl at clerew.man.ac.uk      Snail: 5 Clerewood Ave, CHEADLE, SK8 3JU, U.K.