[NNTP] draft-ietf-nntpext-streaming-02

Andrew - Supernews andrew at supernews.net
Mon Oct 18 10:50:54 PDT 2004

>>>>> "Clive" == Clive D W Feather <clive at demon.net> writes:

 Clive> Andrew - Supernews said:
 Clive> The problem with closing (or issuing a 400, which is far
 Clive> superior) is that it prevents the client doing anything else,
 Clive> like newsreading.

 >> In practice, streaming feeds and newsreading are never done on the
 >> same connection.

 Clive> Why is that justification for hardwiring it into the
 Clive> specification for ever more?

It's not. But it does mean that potential inconvenience to a client
that does both streaming feeds and newsreading is a very, very minor
consideration.

 >> If for some strange reason the client wants to use reader
 >> commands, it can reconnect.

 Clive> And you don't think that's antisocial?

Allowing TAKETHIS to respond with a connection close in certain
failure cases is too important to worry about the effect on
nonexistent clients.

Nothing I've suggested would impact the ability of a client to mix
reader commands and streaming feeds on the same connection if it
wanted to and was written to cope with it.

--
Andrew, Supernews
http://www.supernews.com