[NNTP] Notes on auxiliary documents

Russ Allbery rra at stanford.edu
Thu Nov 11 15:58:03 PST 2004

Jeffrey M Vinocur <jeff at litech.org> writes:

> And from that point of view, without LIST EXTENSIONS, Ken's comment is
> correct that

>      A client MAY attempt the first step of authentication at any time
>      during a session to acquire additional privileges without having
>      received a 480 response. [...] Servers are not required to accept
>      unsolicited authentication information from the client, therefore
>      clients MUST accommodate servers that reject such authentication
>      information.

> was intended to be one coherent thought.  (And I think it is, in fact,
> quite sensible, as documentation of current practice.)

Is there any reason not to simply require that servers support unsolicited
authentication, without any note about older servers?  Are there any
servers that don't support AUTHINFO at any point during the session?  (I
think it would actually be harder to write a server that behaved that way
than to support AUTHINFO at any time.)