[NNTP] Notes on auxiliary documents

Ken Murchison ken at oceana.com
Thu Nov 11 16:13:46 PST 2004

Russ Allbery wrote:

> Jeffrey M Vinocur <jeff at litech.org> writes:
>

>>And from that point of view, without LIST EXTENSIONS, Ken's comment is
>>correct that
>

>>     A client MAY attempt the first step of authentication at any time
>>     during a session to acquire additional privileges without having
>>     received a 480 response. [...] Servers are not required to accept
>>     unsolicited authentication information from the client, therefore
>>     clients MUST accommodate servers that reject such authentication
>>     information.
>

>>was intended to be one coherent thought.  (And I think it is, in fact,
>>quite sensible, as documentation of current practice.)
>

> Is there any reason not to simply require that servers support unsolicited
> authentication, without any note about older servers?  Are there any
> servers that don't support AUTHINFO at any point during the session?  (I
> think it would actually be harder to write a server that behaved that way
> than to support AUTHINFO at any time.)

That's a good question.  Do we really need to discuss this at all?
Isn't assumed that any command can be used unprompted?

If we can get a consensus on what we want this to say, I have some
airplane time tomorrow and Saturday to work on this.

Software Engineer     21 Princeton Place
716-662-8973 x26      Orchard Park, NY 14127