[NNTP] Re: MODE READER

Ken Murchison ken at oceana.com
Wed Nov 10 11:44:36 PST 2004

Russ Allbery wrote:

> Ken Murchison <ken at oceana.com> writes:
>

>>I'd have no problem with this.  In fact I think Mark's originally
>>suggestion was that we should create a new command.  In an effort to
>>remain compatible we decided to just add an "NNTPv2" capability to LIST
>>EXTENSIONS.  Given our inability to agree on the syntax of this new
>>"NNTPv2" capability, let's try the LIST CAPABILITIES (or just
>>CAPABILITY) track.
>

> CAPABILITY is a good point.  The LIST command is already a mess, and while
> taking this out of it won't completely clean it up, at least we're not
> adding to the problem.

Keeping with the cleanup theme, is there any reason why LIST HEADERS
can't be changed to something different (e.g. HDR.LIST or HEADERS),
especially since we're defining it for the first time in our doc (at my
suggestion)?  Similarly LIST OVERVIEW.FMT could be changed to just
OVERVIEW.FMT, but for backwards compatibility this may or may not be wise.

Software Engineer     21 Princeton Place
716-662-8973 x26      Orchard Park, NY 14127