[NNTP] Re: MODE READER

Clive D.W. Feather clive at demon.net
Thu Nov 11 05:32:32 PST 2004

Ken Murchison said:
> Keeping with the cleanup theme, is there any reason why LIST HEADERS
> can't be changed to something different (e.g. HDR.LIST or HEADERS),
> especially since we're defining it for the first time in our doc

Fine with me. HDR.AVAIL would be my first choice (HEADERS on its own is a
bit confusing), since it lists what's available to HDR, but it's not a
big deal.

> Similarly LIST OVERVIEW.FMT could be changed to just
> OVERVIEW.FMT, but for backwards compatibility this may or may not be wise.

This is a bit less clear-cut. It would allow elimination of the legacy
quirk in the specification.

What getting rid of one or both also does is makes it reasonable to say
"no more LIST variants in extensions", limiting LIST to the "LIST keyword"
command in 25.pre-2 and making it more self-consistent.