[NNTP] LIST EXTENSIONS (again)

Mark Crispin MRC at CAC.Washington.EDU
Tue Nov 9 18:27:13 PST 2004

On Tue, 9 Nov 2004, Russ Allbery wrote:
> I think that, for your software, what makes the most sense is to just
> document that Pine doesn't work with any server that requires MODE READER
> unless that server implements the new LIST EXTENSIONS protocol that we're
> hammering out now (at which point you can use that to decide whether you
> have to do MODE READER).

Except that Pine does work for such servers, now, in *real* installations
instead of all the theoretical installations we are talking about.

> The point, however, that several of us have been trying to make is that
> you could currently simply remove MODE READER from Pine entirely and it
> would be functionally equivalent to what you're doing right now for any
> server that requires either TLS or AUTHINFO.

No, because there are servers which require MODE READER, and servers which
require AUTHINFO before MODE READER, and Pine as it exists today works
with these servers.

I think that, as a client implementor, I'm a bit more aware of what
clients encounter in the field.

-- Mark --

http://staff.washington.edu/mrc
Si vis pacem, para bellum.