[NNTP] LIST EXTENSIONS (again)

Russ Allbery rra at stanford.edu
Tue Nov 9 18:40:38 PST 2004

Mark Crispin <MRC at CAC.Washington.EDU> writes:
> On Tue, 9 Nov 2004, Russ Allbery wrote:

>> I think that, for your software, what makes the most sense is to just
>> document that Pine doesn't work with any server that requires MODE
>> READER unless that server implements the new LIST EXTENSIONS protocol
>> that we're hammering out now (at which point you can use that to decide
>> whether you have to do MODE READER).

> Except that Pine does work for such servers, now, in *real*
> installations instead of all the theoretical installations we are
> talking about.

Pine in its current implemention as you described it does not work with
any INN installation that requires both AUTHINFO and MODE READER.

> No, because there are servers which require MODE READER, and servers
> which require AUTHINFO before MODE READER, and Pine as it exists today
> works with these servers.

No server which requires AUTHINFO before MODE READER actually requires
MODE READER at all; you don't need to send MODE READER to such a server.
(I can make this statement because I believe, with a fairly high degree of
certainty, that only INN actually requires MODE READER, and INN does not
require AUTHINFO before it.  I also know that Diablo, the only server
known to require AUTHINFO before MODE READER, doesn't require MODE READER
at all.)

> I think that, as a client implementor, I'm a bit more aware of what
> clients encounter in the field.

I do know how INN works, though.  :)