[NNTP] Snapshot

Clive D.W. Feather clive at demon.net
Tue Nov 9 06:44:19 PST 2004

Ken Murchison said:
>> You missed it. It's phrased as "If no wildmat is specified, the keyword
>> ACTIVE MAY be omitted without altering the effect of the command.".
> OK.  I didn't see it in the ABNF.

  list-active-command = "LIST" [WS "ACTIVE" [WS wildmat]]

Note the outer brackets.

>>> In that case maybe it
>>> would make more sense to just have "LIST" and nothing else, since this
>>> will include "LIST ACTIVE", "LIST HEADERS", etc.
>> The problem is that:
>> - we want LIST ACTIVE, LIST EXTENSIONS, and LIST NEWSGROUPS to be
>> mandatory;

>>- we want LIST HEADERS and LIST OVERVIEW.FMT to be part of their respective
>>  extensions, not part of a generic LIST extension;
> Yes, but LIST is both an extensions *and* a command, so I think grouping
> the mandatory LIST variants with the LIST extensions (as just "LIST"
> commands) is not out of bounds.

Except then we get a mandatory extension! I think.

I'm not totally happy with what we've got (though it's better than what we
had), so if you've any suggestions as how to arrange it better, I'd be
happy to think them through.

>> - LIST HEADERS takes an argument other than a wildmat.
> But its still a "LIST" command.

True, and that's relatively minor.