[NNTP] Snapshot

Ken Murchison ken at oceana.com
Tue Nov 9 06:27:08 PST 2004

Clive D.W. Feather wrote:
> Ken Murchison said:
>
>>Couple of things I noticed:
 >>
>>C, 215:  you show "LIST" as a valid command.  Unless I missed it, we no
>>longer document "LIST" as a shortcut to "LIST ACTIVE *".
>

> You missed it. It's phrased as "If no wildmat is specified, the keyword
> ACTIVE MAY be omitted without altering the effect of the command.".

OK.  I didn't see it in the ABNF.  But I'm guesing we don't want to
promote this.

> Yes. Following Russ's suggestion to make LIST ACTIVE.TIMES into an
> extension, the most logical approach seemed to be to have a generic LIST
> extension.

Right, I agree with this.  Not arguing that point.

>>In that case maybe it
>>would make more sense to just have "LIST" and nothing else, since this
>>will include "LIST ACTIVE", "LIST HEADERS", etc.
>

> The problem is that:
> - we want LIST ACTIVE, LIST EXTENSIONS, and LIST NEWSGROUPS to be mandatory;
> - LIST EXTENSIONS doesn't use the 215 response code;

Yeah, I forgot that LIST EXTENSIONS uses a different response which does
make things a little murky.

> - we want LIST HEADERS and LIST OVERVIEW.FMT to be part of their respective
>   extensions, not part of a generic LIST extension;

Yes, but LIST is both an extensions *and* a command, so I think grouping
the mandatory LIST variants with the LIST extensions (as just "LIST"
commands) is not out of bounds.  Its not a big deal and I'll defer to
the consensus.

> - LIST HEADERS takes an argument other than a wildmat.

But its still a "LIST" command.

Software Engineer     21 Princeton Place
716-662-8973 x26      Orchard Park, NY 14127