SASL capability (Was: [ietf-nntp] I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-nntpext-authinfo-00.txt)

Ken Murchison ken at oceana.com
Tue May 25 18:54:51 PDT 2004

Ken Murchison wrote:

> Clive D.W. Feather wrote:
>  > I've now had time to work through the draft. I'm still at the "test the
>  > concepts" stage rather than the "copy-editing" stage.
>  >
>  > "#3" means "paragraph 3".
>  >
>  > Section 2#3: I don't like the separate SASL response to LIST EXTENSIONS.
>  > This implies that there are two separate extensions, and there
> aren't. It
>  > just doesn't fit the @@@@. Instead of that, what's wrong with:
>  >
>  >     AUTHINFO USER SASL:DIGEST-MD5,GSSAPI,PLAIN,EXTERNAL
>

> I have no problems with this, or any variant.  Two variants which come
> to mind would be:
>
> AUTHINFO USER SASL(DIGEST-MD5,GSSAPI,PLAIN,EXTERNAL)
>
> AUTHINFO USER SASL=DIGEST-MD5 SASL=GSSAPI SASL=PLAIN SASL=EXTERNAL
>
> The latter is similar to the IMAP capability response.

I think we're reached a consensus to remove the separate SASL
capability.  Do we have a consensus on the format for listing the SASL
mechs.  I think I'm leaning towards the second option above (as is Russ).

I'm going to have a lot of free time on Thurs and Fri (assuming the
machines that I'm babysitting don't crash) and I'd like to prepare a new
draft to submit after the holiday and complete my reference
implementation in INN.

Software Engineer     21 Princeton Place
716-662-8973 x26      Orchard Park, NY 14127