SASL capability (Was: [ietf-nntp] I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-nntpext-authinfo-00.txt)

Clive D.W. Feather clive at demon.net
Tue May 25 22:18:34 PDT 2004

Ken Murchison said:
>>>     AUTHINFO USER SASL:DIGEST-MD5,GSSAPI,PLAIN,EXTERNAL
>> AUTHINFO USER SASL(DIGEST-MD5,GSSAPI,PLAIN,EXTERNAL)
>> AUTHINFO USER SASL=DIGEST-MD5 SASL=GSSAPI SASL=PLAIN SASL=EXTERNAL

> I think we're reached a consensus to remove the separate SASL
> capability.  Do we have a consensus on the format for listing the SASL
> mechs.  I think I'm leaning towards the second option above (as is Russ).

As I said before, I don't like it - I see no point in repeating the SASL
time and time again. DIGEST-MD5 etc. are sub-types of SASL; the words
should each match a type of AUTHINFO, with all the sub-types being attached
to that word. So:

    AUTHINFO USER SASL:DIGEST-MD5,EXTERNAL PAPER:FBI,CIA,MI5

But at the end of the day it's not the most important topic to decide.