[NNTP] Extension docs snapshots

Ken Murchison ken at oceana.com
Fri Dec 3 06:52:12 PST 2004

Clive D.W. Feather wrote:

> Ken Murchison said:
>
>>>Really nasty interoperability problems happen if you pipeline MODE STREAM
>>>and TAKETHIS together to a server that doesn't support streaming.  I think
>>>we need to say something about that somewhere.
>>
>>Its already done.  The current text reads:
>>
>>"This command MUST NOT be pipelined with the CHECK or TAKETHIS
>>commands."
>

> We don't have a definition of "pipelined with" and, in any case, this
> doesn't solve the problem:
>
>     [C] CAPABILITIES
>     [S] VERSION 2
>     [S] TRANSIT
>     [S] .
>     [C] TAKETHIS <an.id at example.com>
>     [C] Newsgroup: example.local
>
> is just as broken, even though no pipelining is taking place.
>
> See my response to Russ just posted for better wording.

Yup, got it.  I'll remove the bit about pipelining (unless Russ objects)
and use your text.

>>Once we nail down the CAPABILITIES/LIST CAPABILITIES command and MODE
>>READER stuff, I will have new pre-2 drafts ready.  I'm working on the
>>AUTHINFO SASL changes now.
>

> Please be prepared for cosmetic/admin changes as we negotiate stuff and
> nail it down. (I.e. don't say I didn't warn you.)

Right.  I was thinking about putting up some -pre2 drafts today anyways
so people can look at the more substantive changes.

Software Engineer     21 Princeton Place
716-662-8973 x26      Orchard Park, NY 14127