[NNTP] Extension docs snapshots

Clive D.W. Feather clive at demon.net
Fri Dec 3 06:27:08 PST 2004

Ken Murchison said:
>> Really nasty interoperability problems happen if you pipeline MODE STREAM
>> and TAKETHIS together to a server that doesn't support streaming.  I think
>> we need to say something about that somewhere.
>
> Its already done.  The current text reads:
>
> "This command MUST NOT be pipelined with the CHECK or TAKETHIS
> commands."

We don't have a definition of "pipelined with" and, in any case, this
doesn't solve the problem:

    [C] CAPABILITIES
    [S] VERSION 2
    [S] TRANSIT
    [S] .
    [C] TAKETHIS <an.id at example.com>
    [C] Newsgroup: example.local

is just as broken, even though no pipelining is taking place.

See my response to Russ just posted for better wording.

> Once we nail down the CAPABILITIES/LIST CAPABILITIES command and MODE
> READER stuff, I will have new pre-2 drafts ready.  I'm working on the
> AUTHINFO SASL changes now.

Please be prepared for cosmetic/admin changes as we negotiate stuff and
nail it down. (I.e. don't say I didn't warn you.)