ietf-nntp Draft 20 pre-release 2

Clive D.W. Feather clive at demon.net
Fri Oct 10 01:08:10 PDT 2003

Russ Allbery said:
> I'd like to get an opinion from someone who was arguing for allowing the
> caching.

Well, I'm in favour of it.

For *most* situations, there's going to be little or no change in the
available extensions between invocations. If I'm connecting to the server
every 5 minutes, all those LIST EXTENSIONS calls add up. And if I'm
connected over a 9k6 dialup (yes, this *does* still happen when I'm on the
train) then every round trip hurts.

> If we just disallow it completely in the name of expediency,
> will that be strongly objectionable to any of you?

It will be medium objectionable. I'd rather spend another day seeing if we
can reach a compromise.

> I want to hurry up and
> get to that point.

Understood - I'd like to see it out of the door as well. But will another
24 or 48 hours hurt (it takes longer than that to get an I-D published at
times).

> I think that the LIST HEADERS problem has been resolved and we're just
> waiting for someone to object to the apparent consensus.  That should take
> care of the blockers for getting us to Last Call.

I'll review that thread and start editing.

Internet Expert     | Home:  <clive at davros.org>  | *** NOTE CHANGE ***
Demon Internet      | WWW: http://www.davros.org | Fax:    +44 870 051 9937
Thus plc            |                            | Mobile: +44 7973 377646