ietf-nntp MODE READER

Charles Lindsey chl at clw.cs.man.ac.uk
Mon Mar 17 02:09:13 PST 2003

In <3e71e5fb.2062094 at 145.253.176.102> infstar at infostar.de (Juergen Helbing) writes:

>I am using STAT in combination with POST to verify if an article is
>already available upstream before sending it for posting feeds (ihave
>not permitted for).

news.cis.dfn.de have implemented a nice extension to IHAVE whereby they
will accept that command from anybody (or at least from whose they will
allow to Approve). If they already have the article, they respond
accordingly; otherwise, they allow you to send it, but treat it like POST
(i.e. they add their usual tracing headers).

>This permits small sites (or moderators) to send their upstream feeds
>to multiple injection points even if IHAVE is not permitted or
>available (without wasting bandwidth in cases that the article is
>already there).

Yes, I do that.

Email: chl at clw.cs.man.ac.uk      Snail: 5 Clerewood Ave, CHEADLE, SK8 3JU, U.K.