ietf-nntp MODE READER

Juergen Helbing infstar at infostar.de
Fri Mar 14 06:29:52 PST 2003

On Thu, 13 Mar 2003 15:47:25 -0500, you wrote:

>Why would a peer (non-reading client) use HEAD, STAT or LIST [ACTIVE]?
>Do peers actually try to verify that the server has the group and wants
>an article before using IHAVE?  If so, why?  Otherwise, these seem like
>reader commands to me.
>
>I'm sure that there is some existing practice for this, but I'm curious.

I am using STAT in combination with POST to verify if an article is
already available upstream before sending it for posting feeds (ihave
not permitted for).

This permits small sites (or moderators) to send their upstream feeds
to multiple injection points even if IHAVE is not permitted or
available (without wasting bandwidth in cases that the article is
already there).

Actually 'mode reader' is not sent for such upstream connections.
It is mainly used for redundant feeding.

Just to mention one app :-)
--
Juergen