ietf-nntp Virtual hosts in NNTP servers

Joao Prado Maia jpm at papercut.org
Wed Feb 26 06:49:50 PST 2003

On Wed, 26 Feb 2003, Sami Koskinen wrote:

> 	Joao's situation rings a bell from my previous life. I was
> 	working for a large ISP that was selling virtual nntp
> 	service for other organizations, including other ISPs.
> 	Every virtual nntp server required an IP address, which
> 	was a nuisance.

That's exactly my problem, I don't want to restrict myself in this way.

> > Anything else will require adding new features to clients.
>
> 	Isn't that what the people writing those clients are
> 	doing overall: adding new features? :-)

Exactly. I didn't really wanted to start a flamewar here, but I still
didn't understand what is the problem in adding this new feature to the
protocol. I mean, the new version of the protocol is already adding a
bunch of features, why not this other one that might be valuable in some
cases ?

And it is not a very hard modification either, it's basically just
sending a new command:

HOST domain.com

And that would be it. I'm probably missing something though.

Cheers,
Joao