[ietf-nntp] :bytes metadata

Ken Murchison ken at oceana.com
Fri Dec 19 06:24:31 PST 2003

Andrew - Supernews wrote:

> This is why I suggest specifying the size as being _either_ the
> wireformat or canonical format size, because servers should have
> little difficulty providing one or the other, or at least a very close
> approximation. Any remaining variation is likely to be of the order of
> a few tens of bytes at most - which is not likely to cause any
> problems for a client _provided_ that the client author is aware of
> the inaccuracy.

Agreed.  But if we're just going to state that its a <= approximation,
we probably don't need to get into the storage format.  If what we're
saying is true, then the client shouldn't/won't care whether its stored
in wire format, canonical format, base64 encoded or AES encrypted, as
long as its gets a reasonable estimate of the canonical size.

Software Engineer     21 Princeton Place
716-662-8973 x26      Orchard Park, NY 14127