ietf-nntp MODE READER issue

Russ Allbery rra at stanford.edu
Wed Aug 13 08:37:20 PDT 2003

Clive D W Feather <clive at demon.net> writes:

> I don't have access to a server that actually does something with MODE
> READER, so can someone please tell me what response code is typically
> used to mean "you can't do that until you've done MODE READER"? Our
> current wording implies that it SHOULD be 480 but MAY be 502, but that
> wording is up for grabs anyway and I suspect reality is otherwise.

I think we previously discussed this point and decided that current common
practice (500 response) was wrong.  However, I don't remember any
conclusion that 480 would be appropriate; in fact, I thought we had a
consensus that 480 was *not* appropriate for commands that required a mode
change.  480 means "you need to authenticate," which is something
completely different.

I believe 502 is the correct response code.

Am I misremembering the previous discussion?