ietf-nntp MODE READER issue

Ken Murchison ken at oceana.com
Wed Aug 13 06:53:38 PDT 2003

Clive D.W. Feather wrote:
> I don't have access to a server that actually does something with MODE
> READER, so can someone please tell me what response code is typically used
> to mean "you can't do that until you've done MODE READER"? Our current
> wording implies that it SHOULD be 480 but MAY be 502, but that wording is
> up for grabs anyway and I suspect reality is otherwise.

Here's what my INN installation does.  I don't know if this has changed
in v2.4.

200 bogey.oceana.com InterNetNews server INN 2.3.4 ready
group misc.test
500 "group" not implemented; try "help".
mode reader
200 bogey.oceana.com InterNetNews NNRP server INN 2.3.4 ready (posting ok).
group misc.test
211 0 0 0 misc.test
quit
205 .
Connection closed by foreign host.

Software Engineer     21 Princeton Place
716-662-8973 x26      Orchard Park, NY 14127