ietf-nntp Additional arguments

Jeffrey M. Vinocur jeff at litech.org
Fri Jan 4 00:24:37 PST 2002

On Thu, 3 Jan 2002, Clive D.W. Feather wrote:

> Is it permitted, or is it an error, to provide more arguments than required
> by the command ? For example, given:
>
>     GROUP misc.test demon.service
>
> which of the following applies ?
>
> (1) The server MUST give the 501 syntax error generic response.
> [...]
>
> I would think that (1) applies, but I can find no wording to say so.

I've been digging around in nnrpd's argument processing (trying to hack
some way to deal with whitespace in authinfo passwords), and existing
practice here is awful.  INN's current behavior is to give 501 in most
such cases (where the implementation allows easily), but not all.  In
particular, INN accepts AUTHINFO commands with extra arguments (and
ignores them).

--
Jeffrey M. Vinocur
jeff at litech.org