ietf-nntp Additional arguments

Clive D.W. Feather clive at demon.net
Mon Jan 7 01:40:16 PST 2002

Jeffrey M. Vinocur said:
>> Is it permitted, or is it an error, to provide more arguments than required
>> by the command ? For example, given:
>>     GROUP misc.test demon.service
>> which of the following applies ?
>> (1) The server MUST give the 501 syntax error generic response.

> I've been digging around in nnrpd's argument processing (trying to hack
> some way to deal with whitespace in authinfo passwords), and existing
> practice here is awful.  INN's current behavior is to give 501 in most
> such cases (where the implementation allows easily), but not all.  In
> particular, INN accepts AUTHINFO commands with extra arguments (and
> ignores them).

In that case, would you be happy with (4.2):

    The server MAY give a 501 syntax error generic response; if not,
    it MUST ignore the additional arguments.

?

Any other opinions ? If we have a consensus for that approach I'll draft
words.

--
Clive D.W. Feather  | Work:  <clive at demon.net>   | Tel:  +44 20 8371 1138
Internet Expert     | Home:  <clive at davros.org>  | Fax:  +44 20 8371 4037