ietf-nntp Re: WG Review: Simple Authentication and Security Layer (sasl)

Jeffrey M. Vinocur jeff at litech.org
Fri Dec 20 08:45:52 PST 2002

On Fri, 20 Dec 2002, Ken Murchison wrote:

> Maybe its just me, but you seem to be projecting your particular
> implementation and its pros/cons on the entire community.  I'm sure that
> there are plenty of ISPs that can successfully provide secure
> authentication without the *NEED* for a DSS-type mechanism.  As I've
> stated before, I can definitely see a fit for such a mechanism, but you
> make it sound like nothing can be done without it.

Mmm, I think Andrew's assessment of the needs of the NNTP community is
more accurate than you realize.  For example, the RADIUS authenticator
that comes with INN is only marginally younger than the implementation of
pluggable authentication itself, and judging by the periodic patches we
receive, it's definitely being used in a fair number of different places.

--
Jeffrey M. Vinocur
jeff at litech.org