ietf-nntp Re: WG Review: Simple Authentication and Security Layer (sasl)

Ken Murchison ken at oceana.com
Fri Dec 20 09:17:08 PST 2002

"Jeffrey M. Vinocur" wrote:

> On Fri, 20 Dec 2002, Ken Murchison wrote:
>
> > Maybe its just me, but you seem to be projecting your particular
> > implementation and its pros/cons on the entire community.  I'm sure that
> > there are plenty of ISPs that can successfully provide secure
> > authentication without the *NEED* for a DSS-type mechanism.  As I've
> > stated before, I can definitely see a fit for such a mechanism, but you
> > make it sound like nothing can be done without it.
>
> Mmm, I think Andrew's assessment of the needs of the NNTP community is
> more accurate than you realize.  For example, the RADIUS authenticator
> that comes with INN is only marginally younger than the implementation of
> pluggable authentication itself, and judging by the periodic patches we
> receive, it's definitely being used in a fair number of different places.

I don't doubt that its accurate.  What I'm trying to say (apparently
poorly ;) is that the entire SASL world, both inside and outside of
NNTP, is not dependent upon a DSS-style mech.  SASL itself and the NNTP
profile can and should continue to move forward even in the absence of
such a mech.

Once again, probably much to Russ' dismay, we're rehashing the same
stuff.  ;)

Software Engineer     21 Princeton Place
716-662-8973 x26      Orchard Park, NY 14127